Case Study – Modern Residential Renovation & Extension
Our scope of works was for the renovation and extension to our client’s property in Adamstown Heights, which was a complex undertaking.
The works required an extensive amount of excavation and earthworks – all which had to be removed from site to enable the block retaining walls to be constructed. New fill was required to be brought back onto site to fill behind the walls.
Approximately 150 tonne of material was removed from site and was done using only a 3.5 tonne excavator and bobcat due to the limited access to the rear of the property as well as the steep nature of the site – similar quantities brought back into site. The main bulk excavation works were to a depth of approximately 2.5metres deep with some piering going a further 3 metres below this level
The property is comprised of multi levels. Many decisions and changes were made during the course of this project as a number of obstacles and challenges presented themselves due to the complexity and nature of the project and site constraints.
The renovation and extension works undertaken by Proctor Building Solutions were:
- Extension of the existing living area, by increasing the entertainment area and extending the roofline. This ensured a more user friendly area so that a person could still communicate with people on the lower level deck areas during gatherings, etc.
- Extension of the living area below outside the master bedroom, removal of old timber deck, added new slab and waterproofing to the area.
- Addition of new rumpus room area with concrete deck running off this.
- Underpinning of existing pool room, installation of stacking sliding door, installation of polished timber floor boards an added a kitchenette that flows out to the covered entertainment area.
- Addition of a continued span roofing along entire length of project providing uninterrupted views across bushland
- Addition of new boundary fencing to the property
- Addition of glass balustrading on all decks off 3 living areas and along – side stairs/pool area. The balustrading/handrails and screening was a mixture of glass and aluminium balustrading as well as aluminium slats to screen off the neighbouring properties to maintain some privacy as well as adding a style finish to the areas. Being constructed around the pool particular attention compliancy with all relevant swimming pool and safety standards. The glass balustrading has added a contemporary streamlined appearance to the living areas of the property.
- Contemporary timber stairs were constructed for easy access down one side of the property and new concrete stairs were built on the opposite end of the property.
- Addition of second level concrete planter boxes requiring waterproofing treatment, complimenting an area which previously lacked of interest.
- New retaining wall alongside pool area, requiring removal of old timber retaining wall, backfilling etc.
- The project also had to be constructed over the top of the main sewer line and around the existing concrete in-ground swimming pool which all remained operational throughout construction.
- Extensive underpinning works were carried out the rear of the property prior to the new works being undertaken – again minimal space available to complete such works.
- Extensive planning was done to ensure we had electrical cabling installed behind walls for lighting, switches
- Waterproofing and drainage to retaining walls and planter boxes were all completed
- Utilisation of space under stairs for storage of pool equipment, etc
- Concrete slab and canter levered at south eastern end of deck creates some shelter at the pool level as well as more space to enjoy the pool and its surrounds. Also prime spot for the outdoor shower with Hot & cold water.
The overall construction makes way for a great area to entertain family and guests that has its own cooking and food preparation area separate to the main kitchen of the residence. The different levels of the various decks featured in this property, add a great deal of interest and visual appeal. The pool area is highly visible from all areas ensuring safety of those utilising the pool. The extension renovation has added a high level of appeal to this wonderfully functional family home.